By Lifetime Epoxy Expert Guest Author: David Ryan
Concrete counter tops are stain prone and need high maintenance. The sealers have come a long way from the simple wax and acrylic sealers to most modern epoxy sealers. With the right sealer, you can have a stain-resistant, heat-resistant, scratch-resistant, Food Grade Concrete Sealer, easy to clean, easy to maintain and smooth counter top.
Bare concrete is porous and vulnerable to staining and chemical attack. Liquids will soak into the surface, carrying stains into the concrete itself. Acidic substances like vinegar and lemon juice will dissolve the cement paste.
Sealing material characteristics that are important to clients are:
• Enhance the appearance of the concrete without degrading the look or feel
• Completely resist stains from food, oil, and other household substances
• Resist heat from hot pots and pans
• Resist UV degradation and yellowing from sunlight
• Food Grade Concrete Sealer
• Easily cleaned using common household cleaning products
• Provide long term protection without the need for frequent maintenance
• Easy to repair& maintain
Sealing Materials: Sealers have two groups namely Penetrating sealers and Topical sealers.
Penetrating sealers come in the form of liquids that are applied to bare concrete, soak in, and then once wiped off and dried, are usually almost invisible.
• Densifiers are water-based chemicals that react with the cement paste in the concrete. The reaction generates cementing agents that increase the strength of the surface concrete and fill the pores. The cementing agents that are generated during hardening often serve to provide some color enhancement. Densifiers are often applied before repellents.
• Repellents are a concrete treatment that changes the surface tension characteristics of the concrete so that liquids bead up easily. They create a hydrophobic water-shedding effect when applied to the concrete.
Topical sealers make up the most of the sealers on the market as listed below:
• Wax is the most basic sealer. Generally, a high-quality floor wax that contains carnauba and beeswax, or just pure beeswax, is used. Automotive paste wax should not be used for sealing because of the additives it contains.
• Acrylic is a solvent based or water based, are the next most basic and common concrete sealers. Acrylic sealers are easy to use, available easily and relatively inexpensive. They are widely used for sealing floors and driveways, and provide modest protection. Acrylics generally provide heat resistance but are UV resistant.
• Epoxy is a two-component chemical system and you need to mix them to form the coat. The chemical reaction is irreversible, and the end result is a very durable, very hard surface. Epoxies are expensive chemicals and one need to follow a proper process to apply them. There are three basic types of epoxies: solvent based, water based and 100% solids. They are key to a Food Grade Concrete Sealer. They are widely used in industrial kitchens.
• Urethane are the type of sealers that has many of the Ideal Sealer characteristics. Some are a single part, and others are two part. Urethane, in general, are stain and heat resistant, provide good UV resistance, very tough and scratch resistant. They provide a glossy finish also.
Myself David Ryan, director of EP Floors Corp., a specialized Epoxy Flooring Company providing Food Grade Concrete Sealer service for commercial use. I am here to share my expertise and participate in discussion to flourish my knowledge here.Article Source: https://EzineArticles.com/expert/David_Ryan/2368329Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9608535